Pages

Wednesday, June 21, 2006

Recommended Books

After some weighty posts recently, I thought it might be nice to have a lighter subject for today. I have fond memories of my father reading me bedtime stories, family vacations with a good book in my hands, and even now, my wife smiles at night as I try to read a page or two before she turns the bedroom light off.

So, with this background, I thought I would list some books that I highly recommend. A few of these books are new, while some are not. They are listed in no particular order.

Watchdogs of Democracy?: The Waning Washington Press Corps and how It Has Failed the Public by Helen Thomas

The World Is Flat by Thomas Friedman

Freakonomics by Steven Levitt

Night Soldiers by Alan Furst

David Copperfield by Charles Dickens

Berlin Noir by Philip Kerr

The Big Sleep by Raymond Chandler

Herodotus: The Persian Wars by Herodotus

Angel Flight by Michael Connelly

I'm A Stranger Here Myself by Bill Bryson

What’s The Matter With Kansas by Thomas Frank

Lost Triumph: Lee's Real Plan at Gettysburg and Why It Failed by Tom Carhart

The Right Nation by John Micklethwait & Adrian Woolridge


These are some of my personal favorites, added over the years and some recently to my ever expanding bookshelf.

No comments: